Wednesday, June 26, 2013

florescence and frogfish

On monday we made the tough decision to go on a night dive. There's something magical about being underwater in complete darkness with just the beam from your flashlight illuminating your observable world. Jack let me spend a little one on one time with his blue light, let the florescence  infatuation continue! There are really no words to describe this experience, the whole reef is a glow, corals, sponges, and other various animals. Its like a rave in the ocean!



But these are my favorite! One swam right in front of my face.



Today: After a day spent learning about reef fish behavior and invasive species (Remember folks Lionfish are venomous not poisonous)  We dove. With the plan to observe fish behavior, particularly mating, cleaning and territorial displays. With every new dive and every new task underwater, it's like I'm seeing the reef for the first time. So many new things to observe. Unarguably, the top find of the dive was the DSO finding a Frogfish. The highly camouflaged and elusive fish are VERY hard to spot! They're one of the ugliest fish I've ever seen, but as my professor says they're so ugly they're almost cute. Then Mike pointed out a spotted eagle ray. What can I say, just another great day on the reef! 

No comments:

Post a Comment