Saturday, June 29, 2013

Ostracod night dive

Thursday: Approximately 45 minutes after sunset we entered the water to witness the most incredible light show. Only 4 days after the full moon do Ostracods put on this incredible mating display. These tiny arthropods are only known to mate in the Caribbean. It looks like a million little fire works underwater..


It was also wonderful going on a night dive without relying on our lights. Just floating in the water watching the ostracods, so peaceful. After the show we roamed around (lights on), I found an octopus and scorpionfish. Our lights also attracted a lot of strange worms and fish larvae. I held some larvae in my hand! They felt like glass, I could see right through them.

Today we spend the day on Klein Bonaire the small uninhabited island only a short boat ride from the harbor. Can't believe my time heres almost over. One more week, gotta soak it up!




No comments:

Post a Comment